Saturday, December 7, 2013

Snow Day + Good Eats


It snowed here in Tulsa!

Snow is so much more exciting when you don't have to worry about driving anywhere. And, a snow day in December? It doesn't get much better than that to get you in the Christmas spirit. They are the best days for snuggling in front of a fire, watching Christmas movies and cooking some of your favorite winter time treats. Here is how I spent my snow day:

Cooking Chili - I made it ahead of time so that all the flavors could meld together for the perfect warm me up lunch. I will post the recipe later.


 
Watching Elf with the mini
 
 
The Neighborhood
 
 

Making Snow Ice Cream the way that my great grandmother did and mom still does.

Recipe:
2 cans of evaporated milk
1.5-2 cups of sugar (make sure it is almost too sweet because the snow will melt into it)
1 tablespoon of vanilla
*For kids, you can use some food coloring. My mom always made it pink for us girls.

I also made a batch using condensed milk. I think my great grandmother's and mom's way is better and so does John. And, he is the sweets expert.


Getting bundled up for the snow


A quick family picture made possible thanks to a kitchen stool and a DSLR camera. Who needs someone to take the picture when your hubby can practice his sprints to get in it? As you can see, Emery was too caught up in the motion of her daddy (and trying to catch snowflakes on her tongue).


Acorn Squash for dinner courtesy of the hubs.

How to cook: Cut squash in half and scrap out the insides. Add a little butter, sugar and cinnamon to each half. Add a little water to your glass baking dish and place the halves face up. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

I know this is a light dinner for most and normally us too. But, if you knew the amount of snow ice cream that we ate throughout the day, then you would understand why it was all that we needed.



While I do love a good snow day (and boy did we have one), I prefer to keep them to about two a year. Other than that, I am a sunshine girl. I love 70 degree winter days. Short sleeves on Christmas, yes please! 

No comments:

Post a Comment